This Savage Song Series | This Savage Song Book by V E Schwab

 The Monsters of Verity series


I always enjoy Victoria Schwab’s works – although my ranking of her series is usually the opposite to popular opinion. I feel that Schwab’s books tread the line between fantasy and magical realism, but that’s besides the point.

This Savage song was interesting, certainly. The premise of the series is about a girl who wants to be as brutal as her father, and a boy who wants to be human. The main theme is monsters and men, and what separates them both. The supernatural aspect in the book intensifies the conflict portrayed in the theme. Basically, the backstory is this – Humans die, and when they die, monsters are created, which are the embodiment of all the darkness in their lives. The more violent and terrible the death, the more terrible the monster. In between this chaos, Kate and August need to handle every mess in their lives and in the process, figure out who they really are.

This-Savage-Song-Series

The story was interesting, yes – but the execution fell apart. I liked Kate’s character, but it could have used a lot more filling out. She is this invulnerable, perfectly controlled girl, but I like those parts of her when she showed vulnerability. She was good – great; but I could have liked her more if those parts of her had been sketched out more.

And August – wow. Who he was, and what he was, was really intriguing. And I did love his choice of a weapon, it was unique!

So, while the two MCs were good, the rest weren’t.

The side characters were flat and uninteresting – except for Ilsa, that chick was cool – and the worldbuilding was in shambles. A supercity divided into half, in isolation from all other cities, divided into two halves, one of which was ruled by a (frankly inept) crimelord who exchanged payment for protection; and the other half that was ruled by a idealistic idiot, where everyone who came in, had to fight?

Really, I have to ask. What about the ones who can’t pay, and the ones who can’t fight? Where do they go? The children, the pregnant women, the elderly, the sick? What is their place in this weird world? How is the city run, where does the money come from, how do the shops and the businesses still function normally when the entire place dissolves into anarchy come nightfall? Schwab just divides the environment into neat, tidy lines. If state rule and governing was this easy, then politics wouldn't be such a cesspool.

So, the summary is that This Savage Song is worth giving a go, because the story is intriguing. But I wouldn't finish the series had it extended anywhere beyond the two books


This Savage Song, by #VESchwab #review #fantasy

Post a Comment

0 Comments